Common Breast Conditions
Doctors separate breast disease into 2 groups of conditions.
- THOSE THAT ARE BENIGN AND NOT IN ANY WAY RELATED TO CANCER
- THOSE THAT ARE MALIGNANT, (OR CANCEROUS).
Quite understandably the thing women fear most when they have a breast problem is cancer. However, more than 90 out of every 100 women consulting their doctor with breast symptoms have a benign (non-cancerous) problem.
Breast cancer is more common in older women. Therefore, breast screening programmes will help to detect cancer early and at a treatable stage.
The aim of breast awareness is the process of YOU getting to know what is normal for you.
REMEMBER if you are unsure and/or concerned about your breasts in any way please seek professional medical advice immediately.
Common benign conditions
MASTALGIA: breast pain which occurs at certain times in the monthly cycle or at any time. It is most common between the ages of 30 and 50 and frequently occurs premenstrually.
NODULARITY: lumpiness of the breast. This may come and go during the cycle but again it is most common premenstrually.
FIBROADENOMA: a simple smooth movable mass which usually occurs in young women.
CYSTS: fluid filled capsules. (Fluid cysts can often be drained through a needle attached to a syringe).
BREAST DUCT PROBLEMS: the ducts can become enlarged or inflamed. There may be a discharge from the nipple and sometimes abscesses form.
BREAST ABSCESSES: usually associated with breast feeding.
EXCESSIVE BREAST SIZE: usually in adolescence.
ONE BREAST LARGER: very common
- Know what is normal for you and seek advice if there are any changes.
- Telephone advice from the specialist Sisters is available during opening times.
- All ladies of 18 and over are welcome to make an appointment with the specialist staff.
- Educational examination as required.
- Annual mammography with examination from 40 – 49.
- Bi-annual mammography with examination from 50.
- Family history advice and screening as appropriate.
- No upper age limit.
Most changes are not cancerous (benign) and require little or no treatment. However early detection of a cancer means more effective treatment can be given which can significantly increase the chances of making a full recovery.
An educational examination will teach you the normal for your body and what changes you are looking for. We use your breasts to teach you the correct technique. This will include the following demonstration.
REQUEST AN APPOINTMENT
DAYTIME AND EVENING APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE.