As a registered charity with no connection to the NHS we rely completely on donations. There is no charge for your visit, however it costs us approximately £110 per screening appointment and we will ask you to donate.
Your support in covering the costs is much appreciated as the unit costs around £500,000 per annum to run and the continued generosity of the public is vital to our continued survival and development.
Services currently available are –
- Routine screening by mammography from age 40 with no upper age limit this includes an appointment with our Assistant Practitioner in mammography
- Routine screening by mammography from age 40 with no upper age limit this includes an appointment with our Specialist Breast Nurse. This is for Existing Clients, those with Breast Implants or Family History
Screening aims to detect cancer in its infancy, for women found to have breast cancer the potential health gain can be substantial. In addition innumerable women have had fears allayed.
Approximately 5,000 women visit the Unit each year.
How to Check Yourself (previously Breast Awareness)-
How to check yourself – this replaces the Breast Awareness service as it is found to be more effective for you to be able to check yourself effectively and monitor changes. This service is open to all women aged 18+ and involves an appointment with a specially trained nurse who will help you understand how to practically check yourself and what to look for.
This works with the NHS Breast Screening 5 Point Plan for being breast aware:
- know what’s normal for you
- look at your breasts and feel them
- know what changes to look for
- report any changes without delay
- attend routine screening if you’re 50 or over
Please note Lady McAdden are able to offer routine screening for aged 40+
We stress the importance of gaining confidence in how to check your breasts, including the process of self-examination and looking for any visual change and we encourage women to attend for routine breast screening where available.
- Osteoporosis checks – we have an x-ray heel scanner that provides a check for men and women over the age of 35. This clinic will return when we have finished the refurbishment of our property in Elmsleigh Drive (anticipated early 2020). We are unable to provide this service at our unit in Hillborough Road
Lady McAdden Breast Screening Unit is a registered charity (no. 1062236).